Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I asked a question a few months back and I’m not sure I got…

Hi, I asked a question...
Hi, I asked a question a few months back and I’m not sure I got the answer. lol If I have Bermuda grass, can I plant another type of grass that will eventually overpower the Bermuda or at least keep it a 50/50 mix during the winter? Can I overseed right now with another type of grass so it’s not all Bermuda? Thx!
3/15/2018
Daniel Stover

Hello my name is***** and I will be the professional helping you today. I have over 20 years of horticulture experience and am a head golf course superintendent in south Florida.

Im sorry to hear you did not get your question answered before.

There is nothing that will overpower the Bermuda during the summer months. The only thing you can do is over seed during the winter months with rye grass. Depending on your region the best time to do this is in mid fall around November. The rye grass will stick around all winter long until about April or when the day time tempuratures start reaching 85-90 degrees. At which point the ryegrass will start to die off and the bermuda will take over.

Another option would be to completely kill off the bermuda with round up and replant a different grass. If you are interested in this method let me know your area and I can give you some grass species ideas.

Hope this helps!

Daniel Stover