Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I need help identifying my lawn issues and how to treat it…

i need help identifying my...
i need help identifying my lawn issues and how to treat it
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Daniel Stover
Hello my name is***** and I will be the professional helping you today. Along with 20 years of Horticulture experience I am a head golf course superintendent in south Florida. What kind of issues are you having? Have any pictures? Also what climate and what type of grass do you have?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Daniel, glad to have someone like you with 20 years of experience helping me.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
first of all I live in Virginia (zone 7a ), when I bought my house few years ago, the grass was almost no where. After surfing the net for what's the right way to have grass, I decided to buy sods.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
before laying the sods, I have tilled the soil because it was so compacted and cleaned the ground from old lawn leftovers
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
then, I mixed the soil with horse manure and then I layed the Zoysia sods (around April 2016)and watered for the whole summer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
during that summer (2016) the lawn was green but it was growing very slow, then next spring (2017) I started seeing dead spots which it expanded throughout the whole year
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went to home Depot and bought tall fescue seed, lawn weed control and fertilizer but nothing helped
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
waiting on your feedback

Ok thank you. Bare with me as I review

The tree blocking sunlight is also a major problem. For the most part grass doesn't like to grow in heavy shade. Even fescue wont grow in high shade situations.

How often do you water your grass? To me it looks wet, I could be wrong. I am also having trouble trying to see if I am looking at fescue that is green or the zoysia. It most likely is too cold right now for the zoysia to start growing.

Have you checked the soil moisture? A quick check with a knife to make sure the soil is moist at 1-2" deep will tell you.

Lastly I would highly recommend getting a soil test done. It looks to me like your soil is extremely heavy in clay. This could be the main problem but its a guessing game about the soil from pictures. Let me know if you would like me to get soil tests done for you or if you want me to look up a place in your area.

In one of the pictures you sent it looks like you have a lot of debris on your grass. I would remove all of that to give you the best opportunity for growth. Also I would stray away from the synthetic fertilizers. Home depot and amazon have a few decent choices such as Scotts Natural Lawn Food or Dr. Earths 715 Super Natural.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't water my grass in winter time, it rains a lot here and the temperature is always below 50
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I start watering may till September, regardless of watering, my neighbors don't water their lawn all year long, even in the summer and the grass is always green
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how much does it cost for soil test ?

It could be that you are over watering and causing root diseases. Only water when your lawn needs water or is showing signs of wilt. Water can be the enemy of grass if used in correctly. Lean on the side of dry rather than wet if you have the choice.

Let me know your area and I will look. Most universities do soil testing but If you send them to me I could get it done for you for $200. Let me know if you what you want. I normally only do soil testing for landscaping companies so its not extremely needed that you get premium soil testing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
22193 is my zipcode, I agree with you that my soil is clay-ish that's why it's always compacted! 2 years ago when I tilled the soil, I added horse manure and mulch to the soil to break it apart
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also, is there any kind of grass that would live in a completely shaded area ?

Go here (https://www.soiltest.vt.edu/) and see the fees and procedure with their testing. Typically as a home owner I would get soil testing done once ever three years. Once you get your results back come find me and I will help you create a fertilizer/maintenance program based upon your results. Hope this helps!

Daniel Stover
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, will do,thanks
Daniel Stover
Daniel Stover
Daniel Stover