Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

A fencing contractor cut 7cm into a 130cm diameter root of…

A fencing contractor cut...

A fencing contractor cut 7cm into a 130cm diameter root of our Lemon scented gum tree. Do we need to do anything to it or can we just put the soil back around it?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

5 days

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Should we cover the root with plastic or something else ,or paint some hormone treatment over the cut before we cover it with soil?

3/13/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Please continue but we need advice from an arborist not a vet !
Daniel Stover
Hello my name is***** and I will be the professional helping you today. I have over 20 years of Horticulture experience and am a golf course superintendent in south Florida.I appologize for the mixup in what category your question was placed. This is the first time it has been displayed on the landscaping category. I will talk with tech support about the issue.As far as the sweet gum tree is concerned I would not worry in the least. A 7cm cut into a large root will do no damage. Just bury it with dirt an apply some water with a hose. Hope this helps
Thankyou! We’ll do that
I meant 13cm not 130, sorry! Does that make a difference?
Haha I figured that was an error. I have never heard of a 50inch root before.Ya it will be fine. Trees have hundreds of roots, a cut on one wont hurt it.Take care!
Daniel Stover