Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I have a Hemlock tree in the front of or home by the road…

Customer Question
I have a Hemlock...

I have a Hemlock tree in the front of or home by the road The side of the tree that faces west has several brown branches I noticed it turning brown late summer and with all the rain we have had I still do not see it greening up

Contractor's Assistant: What kind of climate are you in?

Pacific NorthWest

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well I am not yet sure what needs to be done

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That is it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landscaping
12/6/2017
Landscaper: Martin, Electrical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Martin, Electrical Engineer

Hi. The first thing that come to mind is this:
http://forestinvasives.ca/Meet-the-Species/Insects/Hemlock-Wooly-Adelgid
You could identify it quite easily from the white at the base of needles.

It can also be normal aphid, they can attack the side of the tree that are made dry by dominent wind.

It can also be a water stress. Even if you got lot of rain, if you where without it for a long period of time, the side needing the most water may have suffered more. Those tree have very shallow roots and are suceptible to drought. I don't know it they may road work in front of your home, they may have disturbed roots.

As the cool time is comming, it may reset the problem. Nothing much you we can do about it for now. you may make rude the soil remain moist next spring and summer and you can give it a bit of fertilizer around May to help it a bit.