Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

About a year ago our Copper succumbed to a disease that our…

Customer Question
Thank you, ***** *****...

Thank you, ***** ***** year ago our Copper Birch succumbed to a disease that our local garden centre attributed to lacebark but the treatment of spraying with the concoction he sold us failed. We have just noticed the Vergilia has completely lost a branch in similar manner and the rest of the 5 metre tree is sparse with foliage. The China Doll next to it has some leaves turning yellow. Any thoughts about what to do with these trees please? By the way each tree is planted about 2 metres apart beginning Copper Birch vergilia and China Doll

Contractor's Assistant: What kind of climate are you in?

Sorry, I should have said I live in Auckland New Zealand which is quite humid

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We recently threw some leftover bark around the trees

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Landscaping
12/3/2017
Landscaper: W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist replied 4 months ago
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
How much bark? Did the symptoms in all the trees only start after the bark application (you mentioned the first tree died a year ago, but I’m just trying to clarify)?
Usually, when I see adjacent trees dying it makes me think it may be in the soil. A soil-borne fungus wouldn’t be helped by an application of insecticide. You may be dealing with verticillium wilt. It does exist in New Zealand (I’m in the USA.
Bark just covers the ground and it was only applied about 3 months ago. Yes the first tree died a year ago.
The bark is not part of the problem. If the mulch was applied to a depth of many inches, and it was causing the bark of the trees to rot due to burying part of trunk, you’d have bark being the issue.
I would look for a local arborist, nursery, or university extension office that can help you get a soil sample tested.
Please remember to rate my service.
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist