Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

How do we prune a Ylang Ylang tree???? Hot and humid, South…

Customer Question
How do we prune...

How do we prune a Ylang Ylang tree????

Contractor's Assistant: What kind of climate are you in?

Hot and humid, South Florida

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, Cant get any one to do it after the hurricane

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is leaning towards the house. it is very tall and lost a lot of branches during the storm

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landscaping
10/5/2017
Landscaper: Martin, Electrical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Martin, Electrical Engineer

Hi. You prune it like other trees, you cut it cleanly with a good saw at the end of the collar. You make the cut as to minimise the surface area of the cut so it can heal faster (that mean 90 degree along the branche and not necessarly along the direction of the trunk. You do not put anything on the wound (no paint, no pitch). Prune it equally to balance the weight of the tree (that mean you may have to remove good limb if you removed too many damaged one on just one side)

A pole saw do a better job than a chain saw. For large branch you "buck" the cut, you cut some feet father than needed and you then cut at the right place after. That prevent the blade to pinch and also to have the bark peeling on you while the branche is still not 100% cut (you may also undercut from under the branche to avois this).

Ideally you would do it in the winter in a week when you know you have a very dry and sunny temperature.

If the damage are very extended, remove the emmergency branch and do the remaining later next year to not cause the tree to dry because of too many open wounds.