Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I live North of Charlotte, NC and two year ago I've moved…

Customer Question
Hello, I live North of Charlotte...
I live North of Charlotte, NC and two year ago I've moved into this house with a bit up lawn. Since then, the only treatment I've performed was Weed killer and feed plus, o course, mowing it regularly leaving the clippings behind.
The question is: What can I apply to boost it up really good?
I went to Home Depot today and I've got dizzy with so many different products, so I decided to speak with the specialist.
Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landscaping
9/24/2017
Landscaper: C.P.JR, Certified Landscape Contractor replied 10 months ago
C.P.JR
C.P.JR, Certified Landscape Contractor

Thank you for the question, I will do my best to answer.

The first place to start would be getting a soil test done so you can see what is lacking in the soil and what is sufficient. From there, you can buy and apply the appropriate fertilizers. Without knowing the nutrients in the soil, you could be just throwing your money away.

If the lawn is thin, now is a great time to core aerate and overseed which will help thicken the lawn before spring. Mechanical slit seeders are available at most rental centers and will de-thatch the lawn as well as overseed it.

Continue to water as needed after the overseed.

I'll buy a test kit and start from there.
Thank you
If you have a university extension near by, most offer soil testing services for a small fee and these tests are more accurate and give more information than store bought kits.

Please take a moment and rate my answer. Thank you.