W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

I had arborvitae installed about 2 months ago and noticed

Hello, I had arborvitae installed about 2 months ago and noticed that section of them are browning. Do they need more water, Diseased, dying or normal? Live in Chicagoland area and it's pretty dry here. Water twice per week.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I cut out brown spots?
Go ahead and cut any brown spots. It could be some minor damage from handling during the transportation and installation process. It might be minor transplant shock; having the root system jostled around is very hard on a tree. Watering twice a week is perfect; just make sure the ground gets a good soak...watering just a little at the surface is no good.Once the weather cools and the fall rains begin in force, you can suspend watering until next next spring/summer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I cut this whole branch that is brown? Attached a photo
I would cut it out. The trees are young; you're not removing much; they will fill back in with new growth.
Please remember to rate my service.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Noticed this weekend that they are browning from the inside. Typical for fall? Also heard that spider mites may cause brown spots. Sprayed arbs with insecticide.
typical for fall.