Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

Why did my tree die

Customer Question
Why did my tree die
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Landscaping
I have pictures of water oak
Pin oak tree
Pin oak tree with disease? I have pictures.
Answered in 2 days by:
9/12/2017
Landscaper: W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist replied 11 months ago
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Please upload your pictures, and I will help figure out what happened to your tree. Some preliminary questions: are there any other oaks nearby? Was there any disturbance to the site close to the tree in the past few years?
What state and city are you in?
Katy Texas. No other problems. We got a ton of water with hurricane
When did the tree turn brown? Did it happen all at once?
Slowly over time.
Slowly starting when? Did it all brown evenly all over, or did it start from the top down? Please give me as much information as you can that you think may be helpful.
There are back ants living at the base of the tree it started with the trunk first and then the leaves all turned. It has been slowly dying for 4 or 6 months then after the hurricane I got 25 inches of rain and then everything went brown.
Did any other nearby trees die in this same way recently?
No this is the only one.
we have 5 other oak trees around the property plus 100 acres of woods near by with no problems
Is this oak the most exposed? I don't see any other trees nearby in the photos.
From what I've read, the drought of 2011 has severely stressed oaks in the region. This was compounded by the very heavy rains of spring 2016. These stresses likely made your Tree vulnerable to destructive agents like root rot or wood boring insects. Add to that the drowning of Harvey rain waters, it was the final straw.Sine the tree is dead and needs to be removed, have the tree service that performs the work do an "autopsy" on the tree. The can peel back the bark on the trunk and see if they find any evidence of beetles or fungal hyphae.
Please be certain to rate my service, thank you.
Thank you , will do
Please remember to rate my service, thank you.