W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

Can you trim back a tree this time of year?

Customer Question

Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What type of tree is this?

Expert:  W. Sorgen replied 11 months ago.

Very minor pruning would likely not be a problem. The issue with pruning in late summer and fall is that the wounds have the least time to heal before we start getting into "mushroom season". The onset of cooler, moister weather activates fungi and triggers spore production during the fall months, spreading fungus diseases around. The growing season for the above-ground portion of the trees (the roots actively grow during the winter), is coming to a close, and the tree won't be able to successfully provide healing protection for wounds this time of year. So, a few, small pruning cuts probably won't cause a problem, but he more cuts you make, and the bigger they are (especially on tree species vulnerable to fungal infections in your location) the riskier it is to prune this time of year.