Landscaping

Landscaping Questions? Ask a Landscaper for Answers ASAP

Landscaping

My Texas Ash tree is loosing all of its leaves. I thought at

Customer Question
My Texas Ash tree is...
My Texas Ash tree is loosing all of its leaves. I thought at first it was some type of bug. I've used Bayer treatment & fertilizer, but it doesn't help. Do you have any suggestions? We have had an arborist come out a few years ago and he put some containers around the trees for 5 days (I believe). The trees didn't really recoup until the next year. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landscaping
7/13/2016
Landscaper: Rick, General Contractor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It sounds like your tree may be the victim of the emerald ash borer which is a growing problem spreading throughout the country. The only effective insecticides are systemics which means the tree has to take up the insecticide internally and distribute it throughout the tree. I'm sorry to say that if more than 50% of the leaves are gone the tree is probably too far gone to save. The insecticides are most effective as a preventative.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have two of these trees that are in the same area. I would say more than 50% of the leaves are gone. The Bayer treatment has worked in the past. Then one year, an arborist said it was from too much rain. We have only had one time that the rain was really bad but it didn't last long. You don't know of anything that can help these trees. We had them planted about ten years ago. We are in our 80's and would love to see our pretty trees again. Little too old to start over.

I'm sorry but given your description if this is an emerald ash borer infestation there's very little chance they can be saved. Here is a link to an excellent paper from the North Central States extension service.
http://emeraldashborer.info/documents/Multistate_EAB_Insecticide_Fact_Sheet.pdf

It sounds like a call to your arborist may be you only shot at saving the trees.

Landscaper: W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist replied 1 year ago
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Howdy. My name is William; I am an arborist.The first thing we need to do is correctly identify the source of your problem. Jumping to conclusions about ash borer is not a good idea. I suggest you call me, and that way I can have you look at the tree and answer some questions for me. Right now I don't have enough information to offer a reasonable diagnosis.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will you be there tomorrow? I had to take care of my husband and its getting dark now. My husband has to be taken care of. I won't put him in a nursing home. Please let me know if you will be there and at what time. Thanks William
You should now have my cell phone number. You can call any time.
Please give a call when you can.
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist