Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

What is the tolerance on stair risers stair to stair in

Customer Question

what is the tolerance on stair risers stair to stair in resadential i do not have photo or file I just need specs.eg, 3-16 of an inch
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Susan Latta replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.This answer is taken from IBC, he international Building Code: Riser height. The maximum riser height shall be 73/4 inches. The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges of the adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch. Tread depth. The minimum tread depth shall be 10 inches. The tread depth shall be measured horizontally between the vertical planes of the foremost projection of adjacent treads and at a right angle to the tread's leading edge. The greatest tread depth within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch. Consistently shaped winders at the walkline shall be allowed within the same flight of stairs as rectangular treads and do not have to be within 3/8 inch of the rectangular tread depth. Winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of 10 inches measured between the vertical planes of the foremost projection of adjacent treads at the intersections with the walkline. Winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of 6 inches at any point within the clear width of the stair. Within any flight of stairs, the largest winder tread depth at the walkline shall not exceed the smallest winder tread by more than 3/8 inch. I hope this helps! Do you have other questions I can assist you with?Thank you,SusanIf you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.
Di you have further questions about the logistics of the stairs?Please don't forget to rate my answer.Thank you,Susan Latta