Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

I am in Indianapolis. I am interested in moving a tree to…

Customer Question
I am in Indianapolis. I...
I am in Indianapolis. I am interested in moving a tree to another part of my yard owing to having cut down 11 ASH trees and need to get shade where they were. The tree I want to move is a variegated Tulip tree about five - six years old and about 15 - 20 feet tall. The diameter of the trunk at 5 feet off the ground is 3 inches.
A. Does it sound feasible to move the tree at this time of year?
B. Can you recommend an Arborist that could do it and advise me?
***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landscaping
3/8/2016
Landscaper: Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert

Hello Nick and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in arboriculture. I would like to help you this evening.

It should be possible to move the tree. Early spring before buds swell is a good time. You'll need an arborist with a tree spade. Some arborists do this type of work themselves, while others work with specialists who have tree spades and are experienced with this type of tree moving. I do recommend consulting an ISA certified arborist. There are many of them in Indianapolis. This link will take you to a list of them. If you click on their last names, you'll get phone numbers and addresses.

http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/findanarborist.aspx

Once the tree is moved, proper care will determine how well it adjusts to the move. A local arborist can recommend the best fertilizers for your area. He/she will also know if the tree needs support for the first few years. It will be important to water it deeply during dry spells.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I wish you success with the tree.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!