Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Attempting to blow out home irrigation system. I recently

Customer Question

Attempting to blow out home irrigation system. I recently installed a master valve. When I apply compressed air to the system, I am able to blow out one zone but after that the master valve appears to not be open. All indications are that the zone valves street opening but there is no air flow into the system. Any ideas?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

How are you opening the solenoids? with the controller? manually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was attempting to do it through the normal automatic sequence.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The main valve will always be open when a zone is open if it's wired right. The best way to do this is to either open each zone in succession manually at the controller or by going to the valves and opening them manually (no power from the controller).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The system works fine with water pressure. Part of my bewilderment is thinking maybe the master valve was not opening with air pressure as opposed to water pressure. Watching the panel on the controller, it looks like the zone valves are opening in sequence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zone 1 opens and blows out, but after that there is no air flow through the system.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The valves open when power is applied to the solenoid. What is going through the lines (water or air) has nothing to do with the valve opening or closing. Do you know how to open 1 zone at a time manually from the controller?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an explanation as to why the automatic sequence would not work?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then that's how you blow out the system, by opening 1 zone at a time manually at the controller. Are you waiting for the cycle to time out? Normally ONE (only one) zone will stay open for 20+ minutes then the next zone opens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The controller is programmable and I had it set for a few minutes per zone. It was cycling normally through the Zones. I will try doing the Zones one at a time.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try the manual approach tomorrow. I'll let you know.JackBy the way, is there ANYTHING you are not an expert on?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I've been around for a while. You pick up a lot if you pay attention.