Landscaping

Landscaping Questions? Ask a Landscaper for Answers ASAP

Landscaping

I have a magnolia tree that was out of water during a hot

Customer Question
spell, about 2-3 weeks and...
I have a magnolia tree that was out of water during a hot spell, about 2-3 weeks and now many of the leaves are brown, although there still are green leaves on the tree. Can this tree be saved and how?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landscaping
10/28/2015
Landscaper: Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in trees. I would like to help with your question today. Some additional information will help me determine if your tree can survive. Do all or most of the branches have some green leaves on them, or are they only on certain parts of the tree? Do any branches look completely dead? If so, scrape some bark from a twig on one of those branches. Is it dry and whitish underneath, or is it moist with a hint of green? Thank you. Anna

Most of the branches have both green and brown leaves.

Thank you for getting back to me. That is good news. If the cause of the brown leaves was heat and lack of water, preventing that from happening again will give it the best chance of surviving. Deep watering is the most important thing you can do to help the tree. Once a week, turn a hose on low and place it under the tree. You want the water flow to be low enough that it will seep not the soil, not run off. Let the water run at this rate for several hours. If you live in an area where the ground doesn't freeze, be sure to continue watering whenever there is little rainfall through the winter. However, during cold weather, you can water less often. If the ground does freeze in your area, continue once a week watering a until the ground is frozen. In the spring, fertilize with product made for flowering trees and shrubs. Most nurseries and garden centers carry these. Whenever you have periods of dryness, water deeply next growing season. A mulch on the ground around the tree can also help maintain soil moisture. I wouldn't expect much new leaf production this year, but if the tree hasn't been weakened too much, you should get healthy leaves next spring as long as the tree is not stressed again. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I wish you success in saving your magnolia. Anna

thank you

You're welcome. Please take a moment to rate my service - I don't receive compensation for my time unless you do. Thank you very much! If you have any follow- up questions, I'll be here.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert