NCCPrime
NCCPrime,
Experience:  President at NCC Prime Construction Inc.
89387220

I have 600 square ft of where tall fescue grass used to

Customer Question

Hi I have 600 square ft of where tall fescue grass used to be. It died out mostly to dirt and only 20% of it is left. I plan on removing and ressoding but wanted instructions on how to prepare soil before new sod goes in. I live in southern California

Category: Landscaping
Expert:  NCCPrime replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to the service. Please know that the best way to start is to actually turn all the soil using a shovel. Try to remove the old grass if possible and using a rake remove all stones. Also, try to break big pieces of soil into a smaller particles. Make sure you even the entire area. This is your new The spread fertilizer equally throughout the entire area. You don't want your new lawn to have uneven valleys and peaks. Now you are ready to seed. Try to do that the same day. Use the back of your fake to cover your seeds with a quarter inch dirt. After you are done you will have to water it. The first couple months I recomend you water it daily for at least 15 minutes especially during warm temperatures. Later on every other day is the way to go. If you have additional questions feel free to contact me. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That sounds right but I'm to be putting down sod pieces. Is it still the same directions

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your reply. It is a few more things you need to know if you are puting sod. Definitely, you will still need to prepare the soil. Try to remove any stones and break down any large particles. Also, the soil needs to be loosen up at least 3 inches so this way it will allow the new roots to grow into the soil. You can still use fertilizer but make sure it does not contain any weed killer in it. Water the soil very little. Do not make it too wet. All we need is to keep it little moist. Put your sod pieces down. You will have to keep the sod wet until it starts producing new growth. If you have additional questions feel free to ask.good luck