Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

We had a large clump (?) of some sort of fungus growing on

Customer Question

We had a large clump (?) of some sort of fungus growing on the north side of our house. It was a very deep red color and was soft and moist. I had never seen something like this before. Have you ever heard of anything like this?
Category: Landscaping
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you identify the fungus/mold by this color and texture description? I wish I had taken a photo of it before cleaning it off, but I didn't.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi. It is very hard to identify a mushroom/fungus without pictures. As you say it grew on the house it would guess it is a member of the polypore familly. Those are just the fuiting body of the mushroom that populate a part of the wood, so it can come back. Because this is north, it may only be surface humidity that allowed it to start so i would try to apply a fungicide (copper based) and a bit later i would re-apply some mixed with oil to make sure it penetrate and have a more lasting effect. If that wood is painted, it is possible that the whole surface got infected from crack in the paint that allowed humidity and spore in.