W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

My husband and I have a 10 foot ginko on our property. How

Customer Question

My husband and I have a 10 foot ginko on our property. How do we find out if the tree is a male or female before it starts to drop fruit, which will indicate that it is female?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in trees. I wish I could help you, but you cannot find out until the tree flowers. The seeds from which male and female trees grow are shaped differently, and that's how nurseries know what they are growing, but you can't see the seed from which this tree came. Molecular DNA analysis can tell you the sex of a tree, but that is extremely expensive, and it can be difficult to find a lab that does it.
I'm sorry, but there simple key is no way to determine the sex of your tree at this stage of its life. If you would like your question to be closed, let me know.
Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No further information requested.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Do you want your question closed out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes