Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

My weeping cherry trees leaves are turning yellow. I planted

Customer Question

My weeping cherry trees leaves are turning yellow. I planted it about two weeks ago and I live in south central PA. We have had a great deal of rain and I see that over watering can cause this problem. Do you think that is the problem or is something else going on? And how do I correct it before I lose my tree?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The condition you mention make me thing that you dug a hole in compacted soil and put the root ball in it with the soft soil it came with. That can have the same effect of putting it directly in a water bucket (no drainage) when it rain a lot. That can cause iron absorbtion problem and root rot. I found that those trees grow best in very well drained area, like small slopes.
What you can do now is to soften the soil around the area of the root ball.
If you see a jello like substance oozing from the trunk, it will mean the tree got too much water and many of his capillaries exploded and that root rot may have cause a bacterial infection in it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will try that
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hope you can get it back to health. That said i usually lose 50% of the trees i bought from stores. They start them with too much fertilizer and when you get them home they have a harsh time. If you ever lose it, many place have a waranty on them if you lose it the same year.