Anna
Anna, Biologist, Gardening Expert
Experience:  I am a biologist with experience in water gardening, and growing trees, ornamental plants, and vegetables.
6012901

I have a 2 year old gala apple tree and a honeycrisp , also

Customer Question

I have a 2 year old gala apple tree and a honeycrisp , also 2 year old. Few yellow spots were noticed on both trees about two weeks ago. The spots started to multiply and spread to more leaves. In the meantime the older spots began to grow larger and thicker, about 1/8 inch in diameter, the center becoming dark brown. The stems and branches are covered with raised spots. New leaves on the honeycrisp appear curled and light pale yellow in color. I applied a diluted captan solution a few times. I tried a diluted solution of crushed garlic and ripe green chilly. Nothing seems to work. Please advise me how to deal with the disease(s). Thank you for your advice.
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in trees. I'm sorry to hear your apples are having a problem. Do the leaves look like one of the following photos?

graphic

graphic

graphic

Thank you.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
It appears you went offline without seeing the photos I posted. Because I don't want you to have to wait any longer, I'm going to go ahead and answer without your input. Though it's impossible to be certain based only on an online description, from what you have said, it sounds like your trees are infected with cedar apple rust. This is a fungal disease with a very complicated life cycle. Orange clusters appear on cedars and junipers when new spores are ready to be released. Those spores then are blown through the air to infect, apples, pears, quinces, and other trees in that family. Mild cases may result in only a few yellow spots. severe cases develop the way you have described. If you had a wet spring, that can increase the severity. Cedar apple rust doesn't kill trees, but it does disfigure them. The trees may even lose all their leaves, but new ones will grow next spring. Once the rust appears, it will usually be back every year.

Pesticides registered for use include captan, chlorothalonil (Daconil), copper, mancozeb, maneb, sulfur, thiophanate methyl (Cleary 3336), thiram, triadimefon, and ziram. If you diluted your captan more than the instructions stated, it may have been too weak. However, it is just as likely that you sprayed too late. Once the yellow spots appear, it will do no good to spray. The fungicides are used as a preventative in the spring before the disease can take hold.There will be nothing you can do this year.

To prevent an infection next year, start with dormant oil to be applied in late winter to destroy overwintering spores on bark, branches, twigs, and buds.Follow that in the spring with a fungicide according to package directions,first when the flower buds turn pink, again when the petals have fallen, and once more about 10 days later. In the fall, remove all the apple leaves - don't compost them. You'll have to repeat this procedure each year.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I wish you success in preventing the disease next spring.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!