Landscaping

Landscaping questions? Ask a landscaper for answers ASAP

We have Boxwoods that have browned leaves

Customer Question
We have Boxwoods that have...

We have Boxwoods that have browned leaves after the very cold winter. We are between zone 5 and zone 4. The variety is Emerald Green that has browned leaves about 70% of the bush. We have Winter Gem that did not brown. What can we do to help these boxwoods to get their green leaves back. We have about 40 bushes that have browned.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landscaping
6/16/2015
Landscaper: Machinc, General Contractor replied 2 years ago
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
With that many plants it is a lot of work but the brown leaves need to be removed.
This will allow more light encouraging new growth.
They should be hand plucked or trimmed with hand trimmers.
Do not use one of those large electric hedge trimmer things
unless you are really skilled.
They can slash the stems causing recovery to come before new growth.
Hand trimmers allow a controlled clean cut at the leaf stem.
As the leaves start to return you will be able to spot any dead stems
and they can be trimmed at that time.
Always Trim in spring after danger of frost has past.
Do not trim the stems any further than about nine inches.
Or as far back as the part that is dead.
As you know some winters they just do better than others.
Customer
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor