W. Sorgen
W. Sorgen, ISA Ceritified Arborist
Experience:  Bachelor's degree in forestry, and owner of a residential/commercial tree service.
73238437

Why do tree limbs split lengthwise?

Customer Question

why do tree limbs split lengthwise?
Category: Landscaping
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in trees. I would like to help you today, but some additional information will be useful.
Do you have a specific tree with this problem? If yes, what kind of tree is it?
How many branches have split like this?
Do the leaves on the tree look normal and healthy?
Thank you.
Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its an Apple tree full grown. This is the first year the splitting has really noticeable. Most of the limbs are split.

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. There is no one reason the limbs would split this way, but it does mean the wood is weakening inside the tree. It could be age, a systemic fungal infection, or boring insects inside. Can you send a picture of the inside of one of the split branches? You can upload a photo by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you reply. Instructions will pop up. Thank you.