Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am living in a 2 bedroom apartment.I have a roommate that…

Customer Question
I am living in...

I am living in a 2 bedroom apartment.I have a roommate that shares the lease with me. I have to, unfortunately, break the lease and leave and I have two more months left to complete my lease. I am not able to pay for those two months. And the roommate is denying to pay as well. who is supposed to pay ideally and legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

You mean the lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My name is ***** ***** the lease and as per my landlord roommates name was added later on this lease. is this advise free?

Submitted: 11 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
is anyone working on this issue?
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/11/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 10 days ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

does the lease state that the roommates are "jointly and severally liable" or does it list both tenants on the lease?