Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I had a one year lease with my landlord in California. The…

Customer Question
I had a one year...
I had a one year lease with my landlord in California. The lease expired in 2017. I stayed on a month 2 month lease. Last month he told me to move out and he asked me to send him an email saying I was going to move out on the 31st of May. However I have changed my mind. Could he legally throw out my furniture from the apartment? I am not in California at the moment so I just left my belongings there. He texted me on the 30th what time I was going to move out the next day (the 31st). I did not reply to him. I'm not sure if he went to the apartment and put my furniture out. I would like to know if that would be legal? My apartment is in West Hollywood
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/1/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 24 days ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. No, he can not. It is illegal for a landlord to use self-help to remove or evict a tenant and if they want you out, have to go through the legal process. You do want to place them on notice that you are unable to vacate and will return to do so, so they do not think you abandoned the rental. It is illegal for the landlord to remove your items or change the locks and if they want you out, they need to evict.

Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 21 days ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!