Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

The rental is in California. We advertised the house with…

Customer Question
The rental is in California...
The rental is in California. We advertised the house with central AC but later found out it doesn't have it. It is in the bay area. The AC is not required here since most of the days the weather is not hot at all. Only few days in the afternoon is hot. We rented to a family and when they found out there is no AC. they are requesting we drop rent by 150 dollars each month. What can we do?Best,
Lisa
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/1/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your landlord-tenant law question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with this matter. If you represented that the property is with cable tv then this would be a willful misrepresentation effecting the lease. You would need to renegotiate the lease as is appropriate to the correct condition of the property you are renting.

This means negotiating the lease terms or reducing the rent. The tenant could even terminate the lease for misrepresentation of contract in this case so some settlement is needed.

If the property wasn't advertised with air conditioning the the rental should be unaffected with this but the tenant again could back out of the contract where the property is inhabitable due to this defect.

Landlords have a duty to keep the property in a habitable state under California landlord laws.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return by rating positively today my answer before exiting today I get a credit for my time.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Dear Customer ,

Thanks

Attorney Bill

this doesn't answer my question. AC is not required here. Most of the days weather is not hot or cold. Many house don't have AC. so without ac it will not make the house uninhabitable. What is our responsibility under this situation? we are fine they walk away with the lease.

For misrepresentation of contract and the lease you would have to reduce the rent or provide the cable tv; this would be the extent of the responsibility or they could walk away.

Thanks

Attorney Bill