Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Im i own a 2 familly house in belleville new jersey and i am…

Customer Question
Hi im i own...

Hi im i own a 2 familly house in belleville new jersey and i am now regretting in renting my basement on a room basis. do you know how much is the penalty for such offense?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There are no lease, it is a basement. no issues with maintenance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a legal tenant on the second floor that has stopped paying rent. and i wanna start an eviction process but worried that she might report that i am renting the basement illegally. I already told the basement tenants to move out in 2 months and they seem to agree.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/1/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.

I'm going to share the law on illegal apartments in NJ with you. "Landlords owning illegal apartments are stuck between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, illegal apartments that stem from zoning violations (for example, a three family construction in a two family zone) face heavy and mounting fines until the violation is cured. On the other, the only way to cure the violation is to evict the tenant. In most cases, evicting the tenant must be done according to the New Jersey Anti-Eviction Act, N.J.S.A. §2A:18-61.1. Even an eviction that strictly follows the onerous notice requirements must still pay relocation benefits pursuant to N.J.S.A. §2A:18-61.1h, Reimbursement to Displaced Tenant." https://www.nynjconsumerlaw.com/2012/07/nj-residential-tenants-illegal-apartments-tenants-right-to-relocation-benefit.html So, as you can see, the penalties are not small, I'm afraid. It sounds like your tenant living in the illegal apartment does not know that, at least at the moment, so that's the silver lining for you. I'm sorry - I don't want to give you false hope; I do want you to know the landscape so you'll be prepared to address it (if there comes a time that you need to address it). I don't do this for the ratings - I do this so that people can have the information they need (rather just spinning their wheels) - and unfortunately sometimes that means giving good people information they don't love to receive. I also have no control over what the law is. I really hope you understand that I'm just trying to help. If you give me a "bad" or "negative" rating for "good" information I'll be upset - and we do see those ratings instantaneously - but I understand that this is your choice. Please ask me anything - I'd be happy to answer any of your questions.
-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.