Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I just got a 30 day eviction notice because I wouldn't take…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a 30 day eviction notice because I wouldn't take care of my landlords pool

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

IL

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

My lease has been over for years I have been here 9 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I told him not to open it I work 60 or more hours a week and I have had a heart attack so I don't want to do anything with it. He showed up one day when I was at work and opened the pool filled it without my knowledge

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
6/1/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 20 days ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

If you are not under a fixed term lease, then legally you are month to month and either party can terminate the tenancy with a proper notice. This means that either of you could terminate it with a 30 day written notice to vacate. See 735 ILCS 5/9-207).

.

If you don't move out within that time, the landlord would then have to file a formal eviction action in court to obtain a judgment against you that the sheriff would execute to force you to vacate. That will take about a month longer..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 18 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
No
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 17 days ago

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question, even though the answer was kind of lousy. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 16 days ago

Hello again,

.

.

.

.

Thanks much