Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I had a question about painting my apartment. The landlord…

Customer Question
HI, I had a question...
HI, I had a question about painting my apartment. The landlord never painted when we moved in, and the lease says we are responsible for paint after a year. Would he try and charge us when we move out? I feel like he should have painted when we moved in and because he didn't he can't try and put it all on me. Thanks.
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is no; the landlord couldn't charge you for paint unless the place absolutely needed a coat of paint because of your living in there. So, for example, if the place needed some paint when you moved in, but because you have kids or pets, the walls became even worse, then you could be charged, but if there has been little to no change, then there is nothing under the law that would allow a landlord to do so. The law only allows the landlord to charge for reasonable fees, and if you didn't hurt the wall, it'd be unreasonable.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?