Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord gave me a 30 day notice they wanted us out of…

Customer Question
My landlord gave me...

My landlord gave me a 30 day notice they wanted us out of the house we rent. We will be out of the house in 15 days, but the landlord maintains it is legal right to charge me for the whole 30 days even if we are out earlier.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Month to month. Paid everymonth early and maintained the house like we own it. The landlords want to move back in to this house we were renting

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The threaten to withhold part of the security deposit if we only pay a pro-rated amount.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/31/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. That is correct, I am sorry to say. You have every legal right to stay and remain and use the full 30 days but if you decide to move out prior to, the landlord does not need to refund any portion of the rent or allow the rent to be prorated. The 30-day notice is required to end the tenancy, and once it is given, a tenant would have to move, by the end of the 30 days. Even though you have been model tenants, the rent for the month is owed, unless agreed otherwise.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!