Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My tenant and I signed a one year lease, she has moved into…

Customer Question
My tenant and I...

My tenant and I signed a one year lease, she has moved into the apartment, the HOA has now informed me she did not pass the background check and she must leave. Am I now responsible for her one year lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues, she did not pass the background check done by the HOA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know my legal rights to this and can she make me honor the lease

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/31/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 2 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Am I now responsible for her one year lease.

,

This presents a big problem because unless you made her tenancy conditioned on getting approved by the HOA, then you shouldn't have signed a lease and let her move in before you had a decision by the HOA. The reason is that her lease with you is legally binding, regardless of any problems between you and the HOA over her status..

.

So she can enforce the lease, even if the HOA finds you in violation for renting to her.

.

With that said, your best recourse here is to talk to the HOA and see if you can do something to improve the tenant's standing so they can get approved...

.

Otherwise you can't break the tenant's lease and evict them because the HOA didn't approve them unless you put that in the lease. And you would then be subject to whatever penalties the HOA imposes for renting to an unapproved tenant..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much