Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have lived in my tri-plex home for 33 years. New owners…

Customer Question
I have lived in...

I have lived in my tri-plex home for 33 years. New owners signed papers last week and posted a 3 day to vacate on my door. They are taking my personal property out of the yard and out of the shop to the dump. They posted the three day notice yesterday and I have been moving things but I did not go home last night so they considered place abandoned and have completely took over and won't let me get anything now. Can they legally take my personal belongings and lick me out of my home?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. They just posted three day notice yesterday and started taking the siding off the house. Which the home was built in 1928 so I'm sure they are stirring up lead and asbestos all over my things.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the triplex located?

Omak, Wa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The new owner is the Trinity Luthern Church and they are tearing down the house for a parking lot. I just want to know if they can take my personal belongings and lick me out because I didn't stay the night in my home. No papers filled with the court.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 2 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

If you have lots of things that they think are trash, or have collected lots of things inside and outside the home, they can give you a 3 day notice for nuisance activity under RCW 59.12.030.

.

You would then have 3 days to cure the problem or they can then file to evict you through the courts..

.

But they can't just lock you out as that is illegal and you could sue them for it.

.

You can also call the police and they will come and explain to the landlord/owners that they have to go through the courts to get an eviction judgment against you before they could force you to leave.

.

.

thanks

Our local police arrived and said it was a civil matter, the three day notice was posted yesterday, yet the cop told him to go to the courts to see if he was within his rights. Small community and he is a Pastor. So, the0 coo left with it being a civil matter and then continuing to throw my stuff into dumpster. What can I do? Thirty-three years of my family's life being thrown away illegally. I knew house being sold but thought I would have at least get a 30 day notice. Not a day and them take over my home because I didn't go home one night. How can I stop them?

It is a civil matter... and it is up to the police whether they intervene and threaten to arrest someone for disturbing the peace or some other charge to get them to stop... But if they are scared of the preacher, they won't take action. They will just tell you to go to court and sue the landlord for their illegal actions..

.

You could try to contact a local attorney to see if he could get an emergency injunction to stop their actions, but honestly, that could take a day or two to get done and a few thousand dollars..

.

But I would definitely go home and go right in, even if you have to break in because you are the tenant and the only one who has legal rights to use and possession of the property until they legally evict you through the courts.

.

.

thanks

I have lived in my tri-plex home for 33 years. I moved there in 1985, I was 10 years old and the youngest of seven kids. My mother was buying the place. She rented the two apartments downstairs as furnished apartments. So, between a large family that had years of memorabilia stored in the mother's home, my two kids with all our memorabolia and the apartment furnishings, there was a lot of stuff (yes a lot of junk too) but it filled the house and two out buildings. Last week new owner signed the papers. On Tuesday (Monday was a holiday) they started removing my personal property donating it or taking it to the dump. They said I had no right to be there and that I knew the place was being sold and so i should be out of there. To my thinking, once the new owners signed the papers, I would have at least thirty days to get my stuff out. Not meaning to be rude or disrespectful, it was just the way I believed the law to be. So, it upset me they were removing my personal belongings and telling me I had no right to be there. A few hours later the Sheriff posted a three day notice on the door. I heard from someone passing by. So, even more upset, I did not go back that night. The next morning when I went there they were in my home and had changed the locks, removed all the food from the refrigerator and cupboards and said I could not be there, escorted me to the alley and called the cops. The cops came and said it was a civil matter and that the new owner needed to check with the court to see if he was acting within his rights.
I assumed I did not have any rights and I left and started researching landlord/tenant laws. That night they tore down the little shop that was still full of my stuff or whatever they did not haul to the dump. Thursday morning, I went to the Northwest Justice Project for help. An attorney mediated and we came up with an agreement that I would try to be out by Friday but I could not guarantee it. And, he agreed that they would stop the demolitions and removal of stuff until I told him I was done. Not being able to predict what life has planned, I did not make it there Friday. This morning, Saturday, I went there but I can not get in because the locks had been changed and the new owner will not answer texts or phone calls and is not home. Now, I said I would try to be out by Friday but I could not guarantee it. Also, when I went there this morning, they have demolished the second out building with all my belongings inside. I also, have three cats inside that I can not get in to feed or to get them. I don't know what to do or if there is anything that I can do. I would at least like to be able to get in and get my animals. The cops are not on my side because the new owner is the Trinity Lutheran Church, so of course they are in the right automatically. I feel like an intruder with no rights yet my home/my sanctuary has been invaded and all my personal property/family memorabilia has been stolen. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you so very much for your time reading and answering my real estate question. I don't think there are enough words to express my appreciation to you. At a difficult time in my life, it is nice to know that there are kind and generous people willing to help others.
If there is anything else I need to do to help you get compensated, please let me know. Again, thank you.