Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have had two vehicles stolen from my apartments parking…

Customer Question
I have had two...

I have had two vehicles stolen from my apartments parking lot in two months. Im starting to feel targeted and unsafe in my home. How do i get a out of my lease with out having to pay the early termination fees? I want to move to a more secure area

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I can terminate at any time, i just need to give notice and pay the early termination fee and last months rent, but i would rather not pay it. no maintenance issues, just that someone is obviously watching us and stealing our vehicles, and only our vehicles.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/30/2018
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 23 days ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Are there any other robberies or thefts in the community? Have you advised them of this?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
None that I am aware of.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I made the apartment aware of the first and second vehicle theft

Thank you. The landlord does need to provide a safe and secure premise and if they are failing to do so and are aware of the crime, you could have a basis to try and vacate and break the lease. It is odd that only your tow vehicles have been stolen and if you are a target/victim, this may be something that can be used, if they can not provide more security or take steps, to try and deter the criminal activity.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!