Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm a traveling RN and I'm currently in a lease with 2 other…

Customer Question
I'm a traveling RN...

I'm a traveling RN and I'm currently in a lease with 2 other roommates in texas. 1 of my roommates assaulted me and was charged with 3rd degree felony assault domestic violence with strangulation and was found guilty and sentenced today. I'm also being relocated on my nursing job. There is a no contact and protective order in place against 1 roommate and the other roommate doesn't live here and im.the only tenant paying rent. Can I break my lease with minimal expense and not hurt my credit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Abilene texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Not really except I've had no a/c filter ever and it's got black dust bunnies in the vents

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm terrified my roommate will come.after me as he was released from jail today. He has no where to go. I've talked with my manager who advised me when this happened that I could move since roommate essentially violated the lease but they never followed through. Now they want $2000 plus all kinds of fees etc to get out of my lease. How fair is this?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You should go and apply for a Restraining Order in order to take advantage of Texas Property Code Title 8 Chapter 92 Section 92.016.

The Landlord should have let you move out without penalty under the circumstances, but apparently is trying to take advantage of the loophole because you do not have a Protective Order eventhough your assailant has been sentenced. In light of the circumstances, you should not have a problem obtaining a Protective Order so that you can give that Order to the Landlord/property manager in order to terminate the lease with NO penalty.

You should go to the Courthouse first thing in the morning to apply for the Order.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.