Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a Condo president and we have a renter who claims tha…

Customer Question
I am a Condo...

I am a Condo president and we have a renter who claims tha her dog is a service dog...and obviously, has no certification of such.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I tried to inquire about the legit of the dog status and was served with a "cease and desist" order from her attorney.... She leaves the dog home alone on most days and most recently, went on vacation and left the dog at home... is this acceptable behavior?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Cocoa Beach Fl.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The dog barks wildly when you walk by her unit and last week she made another owner remove their dog from our grass area because she could not control her dog while trying to get back to her unit. She also lets the dog run around our pool deck (unleashed).

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/30/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 2 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Under the Fair Housing Act, you have the right to request proof from a FL licensed doctor treating her that says that the dog is "medically necessary" for her condition. You can't ask about her condition, but can have her doctor confirm that she is being treated for something.

.

Further, even if she has a SA, it can't create a nuisance or disturbance for other tenants or you can terminate and evict based on that. A legitimately disabled person doesn't have the right to walk all over other tenant's rights and if their dog is not under control (which is normally clear evidence it isn't an actual SA) then they can be given a notice of lease violation and be forced to either get rid of the dog, or be evicted.

.

But you want to make sure to document incidents with other tenants with names, dates, times and what happened to create a paper trail should it become necessary to evict the tenant.

.

However, typically these people are just scammers and when confronted, they can't provide an actual prescription letter from a licensed doctor saying it is medically necessary and you can then throw them out if they don't get rid of the animal.

.

.

thanks

I've pretty much been told the same by our property manager, they keep telling me to back-off but, it is so obvious that we are being scammed....I keep looking for more advice. Everything on the internet only protects the owner of the dog and there is very little info on the rights of the landlord....

Yes, this is a red hot topic now because tenants know this and think they can scare a landlord from enforcing their rights by just claiming their dog is a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal...

.

So you have to hold your own and follow the law and can request proof of their claims and shift the burden of proof on them to come up with something legitimate..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much