Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am wondering about move out costs. NEVADA and not yet.

Customer Question
I am wondering about...

I am wondering about move out costs.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

NEVADA and not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It’s in regards ***** ***** and cleaning costs post move out

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In the state of NEVADA is a place allowed to charge a % for paint for the time a person lived there? It’s no where in the lease. Everything I found online says that it has to be in the lease that they will do that.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/30/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 27 days ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that.
.

No, a complex/building cannot decide to charge you a percentage for paint/wear and tear or anything else for that matter if it's not in writing and agreed to by the parties ahead of time. Obviously this charge would be quite different than damage caused by the tenant (that amount wouldn't have to be agreed to ahead of time). Contracts law (or lack thereof) would apply... you can't make someone pay an amount that they didn't agree to pay and didn't conceive of having to pay just because you feel like charging them that amount. Please let me know if if there's anything you need me to clarify, explain or follow up on - and I'd be happy to do so! If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 3 or more stars; 5 stars is definitely appreciated! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you. We get notification of our ratings instantly. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question; please do NOT rate negatively because you think I'm not going to come back - this is not like an auto connect-type communication with some companies. We are *real* lawyers and we may be in meetings or on the phone when you next respond so please be patient if you don't get a response in 10 minutes - or even an hour. I WILL come back and answer all of your questions.
-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 25 days ago

Hello. I wanted to check back in with you to see if you got the answer I sent over. We work hard to provide helpful information so I wanted to make sure that you received yours.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I did. I’m not really sure what I am supposed to do it this point with my prior landlord. I know for a fact now that they are scamming people but I just have no idea how to get help.
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 24 days ago

Okay, so you have some options... you can pay the amount and then turn around and sue them in small claims court. You can contact the Attorney General's Office and the Consumer Affairs Office (this second one is not always available). You can try to negotiate with them. You can speak to a lawyer to see if anyone might be interested in taking this case on contingency (potentially as a class action or just as a single plaintiff case) - it's highly unlikely that you're the first person this happened to at this complex. And if you have any additional questions I'd be happy to answer them. Could I ask you for a favor, though? If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra to submit a rating but it does allow me to get credit for the question from Just Answer. 5 stars is always appreciated, though not required! We see all of the ratings customers submit on our behalf as soon as they come in. And, as I mentioned above, you have any additional questions, I would be happy to answer them.