Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a tenant in Arizona. The air conditioners in my

Customer Question
apartment and my neighbours' apartments...
I am a tenant in Arizona. The air conditioners in my apartment and my neighbours' apartments are extremely noisy. They literally make the floor of my apartment shake in the night. My family has been losing sleep for weeks. However, the landlord insists that these ACs are in good shape and refuses to do anything to fix them. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 day by:
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 2 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I will just wait. But can you refer this question to some experts?
Lawyer: Lori, FL attorney replied 2 months ago
Lori
Lori, FL attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

In every lease there is an implied warranty of habitability which requires the landlord to maintain the premises in a habitable condition by complying with state and local housing codes. When there is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability, the tenant notifies the landlord and the landlord is required to respond within a reasonable time by making the necessary repairs. When the landlord fails to respond within a reasonable time, the tenant has the following options: The tenant can make the repairs (call someone to fix the a/c) and deduct the cost from the rent or the tenant can move out and terminate the obligation to pay rent for the balance of the term of the lease or if the tenant stays on the premises, the tenant can withhold rent and defend against eviction. Another alternative is to sue the landlord for breach of the implied warranty of habitability. The condition you describe is a issue and does not comply with your right to quiet enjoyment of the property -- which constitute breaches of the implied warranty of habitability.

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.