Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Can we get out of lease of inhabitable establishment with…

Customer Question
Can we get out...

Can we get out of lease of inhabitable establishment with domestic violence and drugs just to name a couple of things. We had documentation from police and many times have contacted landlord with no resolution

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Sorry , In Appleton, Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The terms of the lease there can be no domestic violence and drugs ... We have therapy dog in which we paid $400 security deposit which we were denied even though we have documentation to support it. We have not had our bathroom sink repaired.. drain flies were not remedied and my mother's closet doesnt have a bar to hang here clothes on

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are given the impression that our landlord is no longer wanting us to be tenants. They have no grounds to evict as we have not broken any of the lease and pay our rent on time, in addition, I personally vacuum the hallways and clean the laundry room and the grounds. We would like to know if we can leave and not pay two months rent to use for relocating and still get our security deposit back for the dog and apt

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 day by:
5/31/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 2 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
i will wait
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Yes, you should be able to . If your landlord does not provide habitable housing under local and state housing codes, a court would probably conclude that you have been “constructively evicted;” this means that the landlord, by supplying unlivable housing, has for all practical purposes “evicted” you, so you have no further responsibility for the rent. Wisconsin law (Wis. Stat. Ann. § 704.07(4)) sets specific requirements for the procedures you must follow before moving out because of a major repair problem. The problem must be truly serious, such as the lack of heat or other essential service. Moreover, if you are a victim of DV or the property is not safe, as there are drugs present and the landlord has failed to act, those are also possible issues which could allow you to vacate.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!