Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

This is a story, but basically, my landlord keeps changing…

Customer Question
This is a long...

This is a long story, but basically, my landlord keeps changing my move in date. I have to be out of my current home on the 31st. She is a realtor and has known my specs for months. She sent me a message the other day saying I could put my possessions in the home but not move in until the 1st

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

NJ, No

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There is a part of the lease that states,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If the landlord is unable to give possession of the property to tenant on the first day of the term, the landlord shall not have any liability to the tenant

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is the remedy in the lease if landlord can not tender possession on the date stated in the lease?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the landlord has NO liability
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
but doesnt she have to have a good reason, such as, broken water pipe, former tenant not vacated, etc

They are still in breach of the lease. Is there a notice and cure period requirement?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the lease states, If the landlord fails to give possession of property within 30 days of the start date set forth above the tenant may terminate the lease by giving the landlord notice.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Also she changed the lease after i signed it and she cashed my security and first months rent. She is asking that I initial the changes made....what I do??
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I really can't find another home with this short of notice.

What changes did they make?

Has the landlord signed?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The original lease...she said she couldn't change the move in date under the terms, but I could write in the bottom that we were moving in the 31st. She told me to keep it simple, so I wrote, "Tenants will move in on May 31st." She changed it to "Landlord will allow tenants to move in on May 31st. (possessions) *possessions may be placed in garage, living room, dining room only."
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
the landlord signed. I signed it and left it for her...she said she would sign and send back. She finally sent it back days later with the alterations, telling me to initial....I havent yet
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
This has been a long process. She has slow walked the lease. I have emails, texts, she purposely dragged it on so I wouldn't have any other options. We agreed on the property over a month ago. And she sent me this message and changed lease on Sunday. 4 days before move in.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Unfortunately, the lease is enforceable for the terms stated. If it says that the landlord has 30 days to deliver possession before they are in default then you are stuck with that.

The added terms are not enforceable unless initialed and only the original terms are included in the lease provisions.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this or being blindsided by liabiliy.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
what do I do if she makes me wait the 30 days? I have a child and pets. She can really do this!!!?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
doesn't she have to have a good reason not to give possession?

You would need to make alternative arrangements, since she would be acting within her rights under the terms of the lease you signed.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
what makes her "unable" to give possession

From my understanding based on the facts presented in your question, that is not specified in the lease.

Unless otherwise specified or excepted in the lease, so long as it does not exceed 30 days, the delay can be for any reason.

Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 22 days ago

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, as your satisfaction with my service is important to me.

Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 21 days ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.