Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I own rental property and one of my tenants had all kinds of…

Customer Question
I own rental property...

I own rental property and one of my tenants had all kinds of junk all around the house as well as in the backyard . Someone call the city and an inspector came and told us that all that junk needed to be cleared. Alot of it was except in the backyard where he had a great amount of junk all stuffed in the carport. The inspector said that we would be getting a notice to appear in court. He also told me that if I have all that junk cleared out he would come back and sign it off and we would not have to go to court. Well he is refusing to clear out his area. Can I remove his junk myself in order to be in compliance or what can I do ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Los Angeles California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It was all a verbal agreement done with my Parent's. They are on a month to month deal

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/29/2018
Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 2 months ago
Michael Gonzalez
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Unfortunately you cannot, on your own, remove the junk without the tenant's consent or some authority granted by a prior written lease (which is now converted to an oral month to month). Rather, you could obtain tenant's consent to enter the premises and remove the junk. Or, in the alternative, give the tenant reasonable notice to remove the junk or else you have the tenants evicted. The latter option obviously is more costly and time-consuming.Unless, your previous written lease (which now has become a month to month) provides the landlord the right to enter the premises in order to repair or mitigate the premises to avoid a city fine then you will need the tenant's consent or have the tenants evicted and treat the "junk" as abandoned property once the tenant vacates the premises.I understand that neither of these options are ideal.