Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a lease that says "rent must be paid with Money

Customer Question
I have a lease that...
I have a lease that says "rent must be paid with Money Order, Check, or Certified Check". This month I was sent an email telling me that I have to use a "card company" to pay my rent. To set up the card and pay in this manner, it costs me $264.00 a month for rent as this "card" company charges me to use them. The Leasing Office says they WILL NOT TAKE a money order, check, or Certified check. Can they do this in the middle of my lease? I live in Oregon.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/28/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

That would be great
Thank you. Tom

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. So, the law in OR doesn't specifically require the landlord to accept a certain kind of payment and there's nothing prohibiting a specific kind of payment either. In California, there is such a law, but OR leaves it up to renters and landlords to figure it out on their own, unfortunately

You may have a separate cause of action if he is causing you this much out of pocket expense. This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of good faith and fair dealing. Under the Uniform Commercial Code Section 1-304, every contract comes with implied promises from both parties that they are going to be acting fairly toward one another. The failure of one party to act fairly toward other can result in a breach of contract. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can just purchase, download, and go. Click here to get started.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?