Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I pay rent with another roommate at a house. There is no…

Customer Question
I pay rent with...

I pay rent with another roommate at a house. There is no written agreement. My landlird came into the house while noone was home and took pictures then told me it was because i was messy. Is that allowed? We do not drink/smoke and have never been late with our rent

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Nags head, nc

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There is no written lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I work at their coffeeshop

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/28/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Please do

This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment if they came into your area that you're renting without notice and without consent. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment. Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. To help facilitate the situation, you may want to consider just writing a letter detailing the problems and demand that they rectify this situation or you will move off the property and not pay any rent thereafter as allowed by law. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No i dont want u to
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Call me

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. Did you get a chance to see what I put? What questions did you have for me about that?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Please answer my question
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 23 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as you opted out your previous contributor, which is why he could not answer.

NC does not have a provision in its Landlord Tenant law that forbids the landlord from making reasonable entry to inspect or repair the premises. So, unless you lease contains some contrary provision regarding the landlord's entry to the premises or unless the landlord is making unreasonable number of entries without notice, the NC landlord tenant law does not prevent the landlord from doing so.

As far as you being messy, as long as your mess is not causing harm to the property, that is not a legal basis for evicting you from the property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.