Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in Garfield, NJ, I have a tenant but no lease

Customer Question
I live in Garfield...

I live in Garfield, NJ, I have a tenant but no lease .....how much can I raise her rent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Garfield, New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No lease...She has been here approximately 2 years....I take care of everything on an as need basis!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No...She has a 5 room apartment for $900.00. ( 2 bedrooms) and has been late with rent several times!

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/27/2018
Lawyer: Nate, Attorney replied 25 days ago
Nate, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

I am answering assuming this is not public assistance housing or Section 8 housing. They have different rules.

The only rule in New Jersey regarding rent increases is that they cannot be "unconscionable". That is very fact specific. Since she has often been late, you get more leeway in what the increase would be. Other factors such as the average price in the area also have an impact. If the rent has been too low for sometime, then you have the right to increase it to current market rates. Without knowing anything else, a 10% increase would likely be considered reasonable if she has been repeatedly late paying.

All that said, if you really just want her out, however, since it's month to month all you have to do is provide 30 days notice.