Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We live in the state of TX. My son is a minor and the

Customer Question
We live in the...

We live in the state of TX. My son is a minor and the survivor of a sexual assault that occurred in our home about a year ago. However, he didn't come forward about the assault until last week.

Does my apt complex have to let me out of my lease without penalty?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Charges were filed immediately. The offender is also a minor. But the child who committed the offense was over 10 and more than 2 years apart in age.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this yet?

When we spoke with the detective she scheduled my son for a forensic interview. That was completed last weekn She then said they'd be interviewing the other child's family.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I haven't. Idk where to find one No

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/27/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Yes. Click here for sample notice to the Landlord.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

The problem with the response provided is that the sample form indicates that I must state when the incident occurred. As I described in my question, this even occurred a year ago. Sometime between March and May of 2017. The law includes a provision that protects victims when the crime has occurred within 6 months of the notice to vacate. However. My son is a minor. He was 9 when the assault occurred and naturally he was ashamed and embarrassed. He didn't get the courage to speak out for the first time until 2 weeks ago. So I didn't knkw that he had been sleeping every night in the room he was assaulted in. Now that I do, this is absolutely unacceptable. We need to move.m, even though the incident occurred more than 6 months ago. So I still don't understand whether I am protected bc I'm asking to vacate within 6 months of the time I was notified or if I'm no longer protected bc he was too afraid to speak out sooner. Can you clarify that for me? And if I am covered, how do I handle the notification to my complex? Just use the police report date rather than the date of the incident?