Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

RE: Tenant/Landlord circumstance. Owner of condo is selling…

Customer Question
RE: Tenant/Landlord circumstance....

RE: Tenant/Landlord circumstance. Owner of condo is selling and asked us to leave by 6/30/18. We've secured housing on 5/15/18 (lease date TBD), and gave her our notice on 5/15/18 but at that juncture, the lease date was not yet secured due to cleaning/prepping issues of the old tenants. New lease starts on 6/4/18. We gave notice as soon as we knew but it is not the 30 days that the law demands and she is demanding that we pay rent up to 6/13. Is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Broomfield, CO.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Month to month. No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of off-hand.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/26/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 2 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Let me see if I get the dates right.

You are on a month to month lease. Your landlord told you to vacate the premises by 6/30/18. You gave notice you were leaving on 5/15/18 but are leaving 6/4/18 and she wants you to pay up to 6/13.

I am not sure if I got it right.

5/15 is the day we found out the new landlord had accepted our application for rental. We notified our current landlord the same day. At that juncture- the actual move-in (start of lease) was yet to TBD. Last week the new landlord gave us our lease date: 6/4. We notified our current landlord again about the actual lease date. She is now demanding that we pay rent up to 6/13. My apologies for not being clear the first time.

So, you told the current landlord that you would be leaving by 6/15 but you want to pay rent up to 6/4?