Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm staying at a hotel for a little less than a year now and…

Customer Question
Hi I'm staying at a...
Hi I'm staying at a hotel for a little less than a year now and have had one long continuous stay and have been paying taxes even tho I have stayed checked in past 30 days which I should have been tax exempt after 30 days. This is in Washington state in Snohomish county. What do I have to do to get refunded the tax money I've been charged. And I realize I probably won't get my tax money for the first 30 days but the days after that I should not have been charged taxes and have been .
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/26/2018
Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 2 months ago
socrateaser, Attorney

If you are being charged for a tax that you do not owe because of the time spent in the hotel, then that is a misrepresentation by the hotel management and you have a civil cause of action against the management for the amount of overpayments.

This is probably within the jurisdiction of the Washington Small Claims court ($5,000.00 maximum). If so, then you can demand a refund for all overpayments, and if the management refuses, then file a civil action in small claims court for misrepresentation and the court will award you the value of the overpayments.

Note: You cannot get your refund from the Department of Revenue. Even if you were to complain, the Department would only penalize the hotel management. The Department would not refund any money directly to you.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!