Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have been living in this house for 1 year and now we have…

Customer Question
I have been living...

I have been living in this house for 1 year and now we have to move because the owner has not been paying the rent. It has to be sold. The property manager and the realtor are telling me that they want to show it tomorrow. But I will not be home. Do I have to let them in? They said they’re coming in anyway

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Our lease doesn’t refer to anything on this subject. They have shown it twice. It’s clean and kept well

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ty

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/26/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Since the lease does not address the issue of landlord access, Nevada statutes apply.

Nevada statutes provide that the landlord can enter the rental property, without the tenant's consent, if there is an emergency. (NRS 118A.330(2).)

If there is no emergency, the landlord can enter the rental property to:

• Inspect the premises;
  • Make necessary or agreed-upon repairs, decorating, alterations, or improvements;
  • Supply necessary or agreed-upon services; or
  • Show the unit to potential or actual purchasers, mortgage companies, tenants, workers, contractors, or other people with a true interest in inspecting the property.

(NRS 118A.330(1).)

The landlord must give the tenant at least twenty-four hours' notice that landlord intends to enter the rental property. The landlord can only enter the property at reasonable times during normal business hours unless the tenant has agreed to allow the landlord to enter on a particular occasion with shorter notice or during non-business hours. (NRS 118A.330(3).)

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you incurring liability.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know, since your satisfaction with my service is important to me.