Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am considering moving into an apartment that my friends…

Customer Question
Hi, I am considering...

Hi, I am considering moving into an apartment that my friends had lived in for a few years previously, and have just moved away. They believe that the rent they were paying there was illegal, and I am hoping to run a few things by someone who can help me look into the probability that I could get my rent lowered after I sign a lease.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NYC

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease would be a renewable 1-year lease (the rent rises slower that way). This is a rent stabilized building.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The previous tenant paid 600 each month, and the tenant after that paid 1900. I think it is highly unlikely that the tenant paying 600 was paying preferential rent just 3.5 years ago at 600. Also, there is no way they put in 50,000+ into repairs and upgrading the place (1/40-1/60th the rent increase).

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/25/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Do you think I have a decent chance of getting my rent lowered in the situation I described above?

Darn. You know, NYC law regarding rent stabilization is very specific and I'm not yet up to speed on it, unfortunately. Because of that, I don't want to waste your time and I will opt out so another expert an take it over and answer your question. My sincere apologies.

Thanks, ***** ***** that.
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be further assisting you with your post.

What is your question?

Hi, did you read my questions from before you took over this conversation?

You did not ask any question. However, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Ok, so here is my question. I am considering moving into a new apartment in NYC. My good friends lived in this apartment for the last three years, and they just moved out. They had suspected that they were paying illegal rent. They had inquired through the city about the previous rent payed for the apartment, and it was something like $600. My friends had been paying about $1900 each month. I can't figure a way that that could have been a legal rent with the laws I am aware of in New York. As far as I know in these rent-stabilised apartments a landlord cannot raise the rent more than 1/40th cost of renovations, and I know they didn't do $50,000+ worth of renovations in that apartment before my friends moved in. We have been living the next door down since before they moved in. I highly doubt that the previous tenant paying $600 was paying a "preferential" rent (when the legal rent is higher, but the tenant is offered a lower rent). Anyhow, we are considering taking an offer of $2080 per month for this apartment, and then after we sign the lease challenging the rent. I want to know if you know anymore about this, and if I am missing something important here. I am aware that there is a time limit on this, and that if they get away with illegal rent for more than 4 years there isn't much you can do about it, but we are still within that time frame. Do I have a decent chance of getting the rent lowered?