Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I need to get out of my apartment lease for health reasons.

Customer Question
I need to get...

I need to get out of my apartment lease for health reasons. The noise in the above apartment is unbearable and I can’t recover

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Not great. Dark and cold and very noisy. I have requested help from landlord several times but just getting worse.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

1 years for only 6 months into now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Very sick after several surgeries

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/25/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

California
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Waiting for response
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Have you notified your landlord in writing of the issues with the noise in the upstairs unit?

several times
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Thanks for the additional information. Give me just a moment to finish typing, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Under California Civil Code 1927 you can legally terminate your lease without incurring an early termination penalty due to the excessive noise from your upstairs neighbors.

You are entitled to the quiet enjoyment of your home, and the lack thereof is in your case only further compounding health issues and your recovery.

You are required to notify your landlord in writing, and give him an opportunity to rectify the situation. You have done so.

You many now serve your landlord notice of your intent to leave, in writing, and move out without incurring any further fees.

See:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=1927.&lawCode=CIV

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!