Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am renting in Alabama. I had a lease of one year however I…

Customer Question
I am renting in...

I am renting in Alabama. I had a lease of one year however I am month to month. I gave a 30 day notice but my closing date on the purchase was moved a few days. The property manager stated I could stay but I have to pay for the full month, "our lease ends at the end of each month, even though I will be out on the 4th of the month. I checked my lease and it only requires a 30 day notice and states nothing about ending at the end of each month. Am I required to pay the full month and not be reimburse (prorated) for the days I was no longer living there?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AL lawyer about this?

No. I just received the email from the property manager

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Searching the Alabama laws and reaching out to you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
5/25/2018
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 2 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

There is nothing that would require the landlord to prorate any rent and refund it unless he was to re-rent the property during the month that you had already paid for..

.

But realistically, if you are only going to be there a few days into the month, then you could just not pay the rent and the landlord has to give you a 7 day written notice to pay or vacate... Then you just make sure you are moved out within that 7 days and return the keys so he doesn't file an eviction case against you.

.

.

thanks

they have every right to keep all monies even though it is not in my lease?

Keep what monies? The rent is presumably due on the 1st... in full. So you wouldn't be able to just pay for a few days if you are only going to be there for a few days.. If you paid the full rent, and then moved out, and they re-rented on the 10th, they would owe you a refund for the remaining 20 days as they can't double dip and receive 2X rent for that 20 days.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much