RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I received 3 five day pay rent or quit notices from a

Customer Question

I received 3 five day pay rent or quit notices from a landlord in 2015 when I was in the hospital for sepsis due to MRSA. These are still on my record and show up when potential landlords do an eviction search. Can I remove these or have them dismissed since they did not result in an eviction?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It was month to month and I paid the rent in the time period on the notice. the notices were posted on the second of the month each time I was hospitalized. I think that's it
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wound very much like a response to the question. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry that no one answered you sooner. Unfortunately, there is no way to expunge or seal such a record. Generally speaking, only criminal -not civil - matters can be sealed or expunged (and even then, that varies by state law and may not be available in all circumstances). I'm not sure how the "pay or quit" notice ended up in the public record unless it was attached to a lawsuit for eviction that was later dismissed (since normally they aren't filed with the court) but regardless, regrettably, they cannot be removed. That said, if something is on your credit report, it should drop off 7 years after it was filed. And, if a prospective landlord is looking at a court record, they should be able to also see that there was never any eviction.

About all you can do is be upfront with a prospective landlord and explain the circumstances of why you received the notices -and that you were never evicted. That's really all a landlord will typically care about.